Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blessings

So today/night I took care of a patient who made me realize how very blessed I am. She is a very young teenager who just got into a rollover accident. She is currently semi-paralyzed but is gaining mobility every day. About a week ago, a pediatric neurosurgeon placed a metal rod in her back that will be there for the rest of her life. Her attitude was amazing and her will power commanded the upmost respect.

It was an awesome feeling to bond with her in the short time that we spent together. At first, I could tell that she had her doubts about me, I can only assume it was because I am so young. But as time progressed, she began to trust me, and toward the end of my shift she was asking me if I could be her nurse tomorrow. It was quite flattering.

I love what I do. She wasn't eating too well at all. She would only drink protein shakes. I talked with her and convinced her to eat a little for lunch, and for dinner, she had a full meal. Making little differences like that make me feel like I'm doing something useful with my time. I love love love to help people.

While I feel extremely tired right now, I'm trying to imagine how she felt going through rehab today and the 2hour long process of taking a shower and getting ready for bed, and it makes my minor aches and tiresome attitude seem miniscule. I will work on my concept map tonight... I will be productive.

Thank you God, for the gift of good health.

No comments: