Sunday, November 4, 2007

Next semester

It is so hard for me to believe that next semester will be my last for the next year or two. This semester is winding down, and it just hit me that I will be graduating, God willing, on May 17th. I will be walking the stage, signifying the completion of nursing school. It blows my mind.

Before I'm quite that far, I want to take an elective in ER nursing. I think I want to start out in an ICU after school but I'm also thinking of ER. I work there a lot as a nurse tech, and I love it. The only problem with taking this elective is that there are only 6 available spots. We have about 100 in our graduating class, maybe 25 or so interested in this course. We each have to write a summary of why we want to take the ER course and why we should be chosen for it. The instructor posted something today about how we will be working day and night shifts and we more than likely get opportunities for flight nursing in the trauma helicopters. I really really want it.

I think I'll spend a good amount of time writing that summary.

I've been rethinking being a CRNA, certified registered nurse anthesthetist. I just don't know. I think it'd be a great job with great pay, but I really feel like I'm a pretty good caregiver, and CRNA's only see the patients right before surgery and shortly thereafter. I wouldn't really get to know any of them unless complications necessitated the need for extended monitoring. Also, I might get kind of borded with it. They intubate the patient and begin anesthesia, but for the rest of the time they can just hang out, with the exception of monitoring vital signs occassionally- but even then, the monitor will beep if there's any cause for concern. From the 5 or so surgeries I've seen, I've seen them play solitare, surf the internet, play dj for the OR, talk on the phone, and do random bits of whatever they want to do. I personally think CRNA's are paid more for what they know to do in the event of an emergency than what they do in an everyday surgery. I'll keep thinking about this one...

Well, I should study since I guess I DO have to finish this semester and next before I think about graduating and making plans about grad school.

No comments: